Slowly but surely, we are getting there! We went through a lot of turmoil with the cabinet stain. Remember, Momma’s kitchen is all original 1960s pine cabinets. At first we were going to use Minwax Polyshades in Bombay Mahogany, but that looked streaky and picked up every bit of dust and dog fur, so we decided to go with a Minwax Walnut stain. Heather and I took all of the cabinet doors to her mother’s workshop, where we spent a day sanding the hell out of them. The following day, we put the first coat of stain on them. However, despite our rigorous sanding and use of a liquid deglosser, followed by Minwax’s wood conditioner, the stain would not take properly. The cabinets looked blotchy and terrible. So Mom decided that regardless of how terrible the Polyshades looked, we were going back to it – this time in a jet black that looks like lacquer.
Fortunately, the black Polyshades looks worlds better than the Bombay Mahogany, though there’s still the issue with dog fur. Momma vacuums each time before I paint a coat. I have 14 more doors and 2 drawer to finish; since we have such a small area in which to work (I am NOT painting this shit outside in 90+ degree heat) I’ve only been able to do a little at a time. My method has been as follows: I paint one coat on the back and allow it to dry for about 6 hours. After it’s dry, but not yet cured, I use a very fine in-between coat sanding block to smooth out any places I see that look imperfect. Then I apply another coat of Polyshades and allow it to dry and cure for 24 hours (the longer the better; I believe it takes a week or so to properly cure and be rock hard).
We’re roughly halfway there. I finally convinced Ma that it would be beneficial to buy all new hinges and hardware – we found identical ones in an oil-rubbed bronze to the age-dulled brass that was already on there at Lowes for around $2/pack. $50 on new hardware later, Darren and I sat down to remove all the old stuff. It looks SO much better and has been so much nicer to re-hang. I have all but two of the upper doors reinstalled, and I have one of the lower doors (it was the tiniest one so it was the one I “tested” at first) and all but one of the drawers done. Now, however, we’ve run into the problem that we didn’t buy all of our new knobs at once, and Hobby Lobby is having issues with the warehouse in reordering more. I think we’re going to go to the Nashville store and look for them. The only reason I remember the specifics for how many doors/drawers we have left to finish is that I am out of knobs, and I counted how many more we would need to buy this morning!
Here are a few sneak peeks of our progress and recent purchases –
Stay tuned for more updates! I am hoping to be completely done with the cabinetry by next week, and then we start painting! And then of course I’ll post something about the shadow box, which I hope to work on really soon!