I posted this originally last summer, along with a tutorial on roasting potatoes and veggies. I’ve had a couple of comments saying I should repost this in the reddit keto recipes forum as a steak cooking method… so here it is! With (somewhat) better quality pictures!
I’ve always hated cooking steak. I can’t grill it worth shit, which is how Meemaw always cooks it, and I don’t like pan-frying it, which is how Mom always cooks it. I prefer my steak so rare that a good vet can still save the cow, and neither one of those methods suffices. So shortly after we moved into the basement, I went in search of a new method for steak cooking, preferably one in the oven. This is what I came up with.
- Bring steak to room temperature. Generally, we like to eat ribeyes since they have a fair amount of fat. Lately we’ve been going into strip steak territory – those are what are pictured – and they’re usually melt-in-your-mouth tender. I think they’re my new favorite!
- Also – another quick note on steak selection – most steaks are graded “Prime,” “Choice,” or “Select.” Prime is much rarer and far more expensive, but you should have your pick of choice or select in your local grocery store. We like to buy our steaks from Kroger, and I make sure to always get choice. Seriously, their choice strip steaks just melt. They’re better than some filet that I’ve had in restaurants. I want one right now.
- Marinade steak. I like to use a can of diet coke; it tenderizes it well. I let each side rest for 15 minutes in the marinade.
- Pat steak dry, and season well. Make sure you massage the seasonings into the steak so they stick. I am always generous with the salt and pepper, and I also always use garlic powder, onion powder, and Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Stick an oven-safe skillet in the oven and set it to broil. Let the skillet get searing hot. I use a cast iron griddle.
- Turn the burner you’re going to use to high. Put your preheated skillet on the burner. Place a pat of butter on the skillet, along with a dash of worcestershire sauce and watch it sizzle.
- Set steak on top of the butter/sauce mixture, and add another pat of butter and dash of worcestershire on top. Let it sear for 30 seconds. Time it.
- I’m aware that worcestershire has carbs, but we use such a negligible amount and most of it cooks off, so it’s never bothered me. YMMV. I just like the flavor it adds.
- Flip the steak and sear the other side for 30 seconds.
- Pop that sumbitch in the oven for two minutes. Again, use a timer. I use my cellphone and drive my grandparents crazy with the constant alarms.
- After 2 minutes, pull out the skillet and flip the steak. Stick it back in the oven for two minutes.
That’s all there is to it. When it’s done, pull it out and place it on a plate. The steak is super juicy and perfectly medium rare with a zesty crust. Meemaw prefers her steak
burnt well done, so I’ll cook hers for a little over 3 minutes on each side. I also try to get her a thinner cut so it cooks faster.
Remember, you should always let your steak rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it. That gives the juices time to settle. If you’re being really decadent, toss a pat of butter on top of it.
I suggest serving this with some bacon-roasted veggies.